What is the technique called Vertebroplasty?
This is a method which is used to treat severe vertebral compression fracture in the spine. The bone cement is injected through a micro hole into back bones that have broken or cracked, which are often a general result of osteoporosis. This procedure can give you the following benefits:
• Pain relief
• Fixation of spine
• Early recovery
How does this technique work?
Here is how this entire procedure goes. Before the Vertebroplasty procedure:
1. Your doctor will recommend you to do digital X-ray to identify the location of fractured bone. Your doctor also may recommend you CT scans or MRI.
2. Tell your doctor about all the prescribed medicines with your prescriptions. Inform him in advance if you are taking ayurvedic supplements. If you have been taking some medicines from some unqualified doctors, please inform your specialist. Most of these local medicines contain harmful steroids and are the cause of osteoporosis or weak bones.
3. Tell your doctor about your medical history if you have any bleeding related problem, or if you are taking any medicine for your severe pain.
During the Vertebroplasty procedure: –
1. Your doctor recommends you for mildness medication which helps you keep calm, relax during the method/procedure or gives you anesthesia for higher and serious pain.
2. Uses a simultaneous X-ray to control the needle insert into the vertebra which is fractured, and also to your body which protects from various radiations.
3. The doctor gently injects/inserts the cement into your fractured vertebra. Depending on how that cement is going to the vertebra; your doctor might give the second injection to fill it completely.
After the Vertebroplasty procedure: –
1. You will have to lie on your back for 1.5 hour, as long as the cement toughens.
2. Your doctor will likely keep you in an observation room for 2-3 hours.
3. After the procedure, it might take 72 hours to get relief from pain. In between if pain occurs, your doctor will give you pain relief tablets.
4. Your doctor will recommend you to come for checkup after few weeks.
What are the possible benefits and risks with Vertebroplasty?
There are many possible benefits such as: –
a) Relief from pain.
b) Continue normal routine work.
c) This technique is almost one third the cost of spine fixation surgery.
d) It can be done as a day care procedure or just one day admission is required.
e) No blood loss
f) No need to open the spine
g) No implants.
This technique has some risks including infection, cement leakage and injury in the spinal cord.
Indications of Per cutaneous Vertebroplasty
a) Osteoporotic Spinal Compression Fractures
b) Spine Metastases
c) Metastatic Spine Fracture
d) Painful Hemangioma
Limitations of Vertebroplasty: –
• It is not used for chronic back pain or spine herniated disc problem.
• It is not used for patients with a chronic vertebral fracture.
• It is not suitable for patient who is suffering from spinal curvature.
What will you experience during this procedure?
There is some device attached to your body to monitor the heart rate and blood pressure. You will feel slight pain when local anesthesia is injected. You may feel pressure when pain specialistmake a small hole into back bones. However, after this procedure, you will feel relaxed and sleepy.
Concluding it, Vertebroplasty is an efficient and safe procedure for the treatment of spinal fracture. Approximately 70% of patientswith spine fractures are treated and cured with this technique.